Gateshead Soul Extended Committee meeting on 11th December, 2019
Pelaw Social Club

Attendees: Bernard McWilliams, Tracie Wilson, Ross Black, Steven Thornton, Alan Weddle, Dave Allen, David Kenny, Kevin Yuill, Josh Yuill, Paula Chapman, Mark Walton, Sam Jupp, Alan Price, Ian Wilson, Emily Fawcus

Apologies: Karl McInnes

A brief summary of discussion:

Club update:

Two new directors have been appointed, the shareholding issue is ongoing. Board working well together. Involvement from other local business is still sought and the club is working hard to rebuild its reputation following past ownership.

BM hopes to arrange a meeting between the board and Soul committee. Also hopes to get all volunteers together.

The club will be able to control concession outlets at Stadium from January 18th which will bring in revenue. This should allow for pre and post-game entertainment for fans and an opportunity for the Soul to raise funds. Members will be contacted to ask what sort of things they would like to have and allow us to emphasise the revenue gain for the club.

Fan behaviour:

Smoke bomb at the Oldham game and reports of racist language and swearing - the Soul will be sending out a message along with directors to highlight the effects of this type of incident and consequences and financial implications.

Foundation:

Launched on December 7th following a week of events. Money raised from raffle and 330kg of food collected for Gateshead Foodbank.

Membership:

We have 156 members with around 20 who have applied but not set up a standing order. We have a volunteer to hand-deliver membership cards in Gateshead area - TW to speak to KM.

We hope to set up an online shop - DK and ST to speak to AW.

The three quiz nights raised £370. Committee to discuss possible new venues to continue due to change of ownership/closure of Nags.

Events:

RB has outlined a plan for events each month including pub games, race night, end of season awards and Wembley talk-in. First even is Pub Games on January 12th at the Nags from 1 pm.

Formation of trust:

AW, ST and ST to meet with FSA to move this forward.

AOB:

Fixture posters for January will be available soon. 

AP suggested the addition of a ‘Hall of Fame’ in the Mick Thornton - fans to vote on who is inducted to it. 

AP to investigate a poppy badge for next Remembrance day.

Become a member